This week, due to being sick and tired and cranky, we aren't treating ourselves, we're taking care of ourselves. in a good deal of places around the country, the weather is changing. it is now fall and will soon be winter. this means cold and flu season.
here are some suggestions to help prevent getting sick:
1. Wash your hands!
2. Don't sneeze or cough into your hands. use a tissue or your elbow.
3. Drink plenty of liquids. keep your system clean and hydrated by drinking up to 8 glasses of water a day
4. Don't touch your face. cold and flu viruses enter the body through the eyes, nose and mouth
5. Get plenty of aerobic exercise. this increases the number of virus-killing cells your body makes.
6. Don't smoke or drink
7. Relax. you're more likely to get sick if you're sleep deprived or stressed. by really relaxing for 30 minutes a day, you can activate your immune system on demand.
8. East a balanced, healthy diet, full of fruits and vegetables (especially dark green or red veggies)
What do we do if we do get sick?
1. Blow your nose often. don't sniffle and don't blow too hard.
2. GET REST!
3. Gargling with salt water 4 times a day can moisten your sore throat and bring temporary relief. try 1 tsp salt per glass of water.
4. Drink hot liquids. these can relieve nasal congestion, sooth your sore throat and help keep you hydrated.
5. Take a steamy shower to help moisturize your nasal passages and help relax you.
6. Use a salve under your nose. they can help clear your nasal passages and soothe raw skin
7. Sleep with an extra pillow under your head. This will help your nasal passages drain.
Here are some things to help you get through your cold or flu. I didn't suggest herbal remedies or medicines because I am not a doctor or an herbalist. the last thing i need is someone dragging me into court yelling "the drunken housewife said those berries would be good for me. i assumed they weren't poisonous". also, given the fact that I am pregnant, i am also sensitive to those who are pregnant or breast feeding. most medications aren't ok to take and many herbs aren't safe either. i don't know which is which, so it's best to stay away!
I hope this information heps you in some way. I hope that you can avoid getting sick. It is very difficult to take care of small children and their boundless energy when you're sick. You should probably follow my advice. If for no other reason, just so you can avoid making that "help me" call to your mother-in-law.
What do you do when you get sick? What are some of your favorite or most effective remedies?